Sunday, January 16, 2011

Taco Četvrtak (Taco Thursday)




This week we had lots of drama in our lives. This drama didn't involve us misspeaking in Croatian or some other cultural blunder. We didn't even have to get out of our pjs for this week. It mostly revolved around the less popular water closet. Our house contracted some sort of stomach bug that resulted in a, let's just say, "less-than-glamorous week".

I (Rachel) had a pretty rough go 'round with this particular issue. This week consisted of a dance between the bedroom and bathroom for several days. Funny enough, all of our friends and family in the south were being held hostage in their homes for days on end due to insane ice and snow. Tim did a wonderful job of doctoring this week when he was feeling up to it. This guy kept us warm, fed (when possible), and very well medicated. The usual egg drop soup wasn't available as per our usual family remedy in the US; but we stayed well stocked in eletrolytes and broth thanks to Timmy.

Up until Wednesday night, the only things that I had successfully accomplished this week were church on Sunday, language class on Monday, and a few selfish cries to God for help. When Thursday morning rolled around, I was a brand new person. I felt relief. I felt myself. I even had a little pep in my step. God had given me down time. God had given me rest. God had given me a handsome doctor (Timmy) to love me back to health. God had answered my prayers, AGAIN! It's funny how your flesh can convince you that nothing else but you and your pain exists. I was free again.

Thursday is also the day that I began to realize that I was hungry like nobody's business. I was terrified to eat or drink more than broth and bananas until now. We went to the our pantry and discovered how God had yet again done a miracle. We just recently found taco shells in our local store here which was a major find for us. We have several packages of seasonings from the States. Thus began our Taco Četvrtak.

Thank you Valley Grove Baptist Church in Thomaston, GA!!! These guys sent us a huge package around Christmas with sweet cards, letters, washcloths, and beautifully shelled pecans (which aren't to be found here) and enough flavor to quiet Rachael Ray. Thank you for being willing to minister with us and to us all the way over here. You helped to feed a truly hungry couple. I know tacos aren't a usual go to meal after an ordeal like we had going on here, but it was the most wonderful comfort food to us.

We are back to our old selves again. Tim is currently driving to the capital to pick up our teammate Garret from his furlough in the US and I'm in-between church services this fine Sunday. Next week looks interesting and full of our Lord's promises!!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! So glad you are feeling better!! It sounds like you are adjusting well in this new adventure. I have enjoyed your pics and getting a little peek at life in Croatia. Paul and are are praying for you. Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete